A reflection on the first 7 weeks of research and preparation for the ActewAGL Major Project.
I feel that the
seven week lead up to the actual shooting of the images has been an invaluable
learning experience. It has provided us with a clear understanding of the
processes that need to followed or at least considered when preparing to
undertake a photographic project for a client.
The first three
weeks provided an understanding the importance of researching the client, past
advertising campaigns, their client audience set the photographer in a position
of truly getting an understanding of who your client is and how your work can
appeal to them. Not to say the photographer has to follow their predecessors
but it gives them a starting point. With that knowledge the photographer can
choose to follow suit or go for a radically different approach and justify it
to the client based on their research.
The last four weeks
became a time of soul searching for the photographer. The conscience
consideration and writing down some ideas of what images they may shoot and
detailing techniques, equipment, places, permission, costs, travel, time etc.
that would be needed to fulfil the objective. This portion of the exercise again
was a great learning one making it a more conscious thought process and written
process of what the photographer intends to do. All this is an imperative of
what we as emerging photographers should consider if only mentally for some
jobs and in some instance do the full-blown exercise for others.
I think I struggled
and still struggle the most with the Week 8 blog, “Why your client should
employ you.” Not unlike others I find it difficult to self-promote and I’m
probably the harshest critic of my own work. I know the theory and understand
the importance of self-promotion but I still find it a struggle. Another thing
I’ll have to work on.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.