Saturday, April 14, 2012

ActewAGL Building Interior and Exterior


Exterior photos of ActewAGL Energy Shop office in Fyshwick on 13 May 2012.

My orginal intent was to shoot another building further down the street which was the ActewAGL Energy Shop but in the several weeks between when I first saw the other building, show elsewhere in this blog they up and move down the street and on the opposite side of the road.

These photos were taken as sunrise and the balance of light was not very good as the building itself was not lit either on the outside or inside. Other problems are a large tree in front of the building and a utility pole located just off the foot path on the right side in front of the picture of the wood stove on the advertisement. It was a windy morning and although remove ghosts was chosen in the HDR merge the long exposure times picked up movement of the leaves and the antenna. Perspective was corrected using PS CS5 Transform > Perspective. 

Extreme angle used to hide the tree in to the left and in front of the door and the utility pole just out of view off the footpath in front of the wood fire place in the Winter warmth advertisement.

Better view of the building than previous photos but movement visible in leaves and antenna. Geoff Comfort suggested cropping to remove most of the fence to the gate and building on the left hand side and straighten the left corner a bit more.

Additional crop and straightning as suggested by Geoff.
-----
While driving in Fyshwick one evening I noticed that ActewAGH had an Energy Shop a single story building with neon signs in the window and lit. It was after dark but I decided to take a couple of shots to consider the building for possible later location shot for architecture for the major assignment. Here is one of the images made as an HDR.


I feel this building has possibility for one of my architecture shots but will wait until we have covered that subject in class.

------
Photos from the interior of the ActewAGL building taken at night. Although I find these photographs very cliche and often used to represent ActewAGL my intention is to avoid using them for the project since I was photographing the exterior I felt I should do the foyer with this artwork. No formal permission sought other than to ask the security guard if I could and he said OK. Others had been in the building photographing while I did the exterior shoot and even though I had my tripod and 5D MK II no problems and I was shooting for about 20 minutes. 






Exterior - from this side angle of the building very little distortion compensation had to be made so this image is pretty much as shot. I like the bus motion in this image and car motion in the following one. Although the third photo has motion blue from a car it is cropped too much and detracts from the photo.




These next three image have heavy distortion corrections made. The first is a failure – poor crop, areas outside the frame and still very distorted. The shooting position for the images below is less than ideal. Very difficult to back far enough away form the building to be successful at the minimum 24mm focal length of my 24-105mm lens. From this view the poles and signs are fewer and less conspicuous.


Image has better treatment than the above one but still skewed outwards at the top left of the building.


Probably the best of the three but still not there. Have some HDR exposure to blend but my thoughts are that will compound the distortion problem. Will have to try again with a T/S lens.






One morning at sunrise the sky was very dark and little light coming through the fog and since I was there I took several shots with remote flash. I had two remote flashes but for some reason although they both fired when close to the trigger when I moved one to the far end of the building it consisently failed to fire. Ended up shooting several images with a single flash and treating them as a HDR. It is the first time I've used the technique of using a flash to expose several areas and then merge them in HDR. Before this semester I had used HDR on very few occasions. This assignment and tutorials have caused me to consider use of the technique a bit more although it probably won't with my normal type of photography, performing bands.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.